Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> The Real Biggest Douche In The Universe

rongravy
post Jun 27 2006, 03:57 PM
Post #31

What up, mofeckle?

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,140

Yeah, I just kept going over that same little piece!
Fabtasticulous!
:sp-cartmanlaugh:

--------------------
user posted image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Kitten
post Aug 8 2006, 02:06 AM
Post #32

Crap VIP

Member No.: 560

My fav person in the world (aka The Real Biggest Douche in the Universe) hasn't been doing his 'Make Poverty History' and 'I champion the rights of the poor of the world' reputation any good this weekend.

Are you U2? Are you worth approx €900 million (approx $1100 million)?? Wanna try and save up to €15 million (approx $18 million) off yer tax bill, like that other successful business, The Rolling Stones???

Well, c'mon over to Holland and place you publishing rights there to save that whopping amount of money that you'll no doubt donate to charity!!!

Are you Bono? Possible saviour of the universe?? Constantly talking it up about clearing the debt Third World countries owe to the World Bank, governments and other capitalist organisations???

Well, c'mon over to Forbes Magazine and Forbes.com to buy a substantial share in a publication that has no qualms about making lots and lots of dosh - like you!

Use one of your many companies (in this case Elevation Partners) to buy approx $275 million (40%) worth of shares in our Rich List empire.

Media mogul Bono buys 'rich list'

Tuesday August 8th 2006

HE'S the lead singer in the world's biggest rock band and a leading anti-poverty campaigner.

Now Bono has taken on the role . . . of media mogul.

Perhaps inspired by the day he spent as guest editor of the London 'Independent', the singer has entered the publishing world as a co-owner and co-publisher of 'Forbes', the prestigious American business magazine.

The publication is renowned for its 'rich list' and its celebration of wealth around the world.

Bono is one of six members of the private equity group Elevation Partners, which has bought a minority stake in Forbes Media LLC, the company that owns the magazine and its website.

"He's very excited about this," said Roger McNamee, a partner at Elevation.

It is believed Elevation paid $300m (€233.6m) for a 40pc stake in the firm.

News of the purchase comes as Bono and his U2 bandmates look set to save €15m by transferring the music publishing side of their empire to Holland.

The supergroup moved the company ahead of the introduction of a cap on the artists' tax exemption, which comes into force next year.

Michael Brennan

© Irish Independent
http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/ & http://www.unison.ie/

--------------------
The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.
+Quote Post
Rachelyrach
post Aug 8 2006, 08:01 AM
Post #33

Crap VIP

Member No.: 1,290

i find it so funny that people take him seriously. way to live the philosophy, dude. :sp-cartmanderp:

--------------------
user posted image
+Quote Post
Kitten
post Aug 9 2006, 03:44 AM
Post #34

Crap VIP

I sent one of Bono's charity organisations DATA an email yesterday.

In one section of the website - the FAQ - it asserted that if all the rich country governments, eg, Canada, USA, France, UK etc, gave 10c out of every $10 spend the Make Poverty History aim would be achieved. But that money is the money from our pockets, our taxes so yet again it's ordinary people who are being called upon to solve this problem.

I decided to ask Bono and his organisation to consider how much money would be raised if all the RED campaign corporations gave 10c of ever $10 they had rather than launching a costly marketing campaign to create more profits from which only 1% is donated. I thought it would amount to much more money and it could make the vastly rich RED companies (eg, AmEx, Armani, Motorola, Gap, Converse) take a more responsible view of how they use their profits rather than having to create more profit before they make a contribution. Also each company is entitled to generous tax breaks on charity contributions.

I also asked if Bono, his band-mates and his Elevation Partners (all hugely rich individuals) would be wiling to contribute 10c out of every $10 they have to kick start the whole thing and set an example. Then starting with the top rich people and then slowly working our way down until we eventually we get to the ordinary every day tax paying citizen maybe this Make Poverty History thing is possible.

It’s all about as plausible as the plot of Hollywood movie…

I don't suppose they will take me seriously but if I get a reply I'll post it.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Kitten
post Oct 26 2007, 03:13 AM
Post #35

Crap VIP

Look! More Crap!

grrrrrrr

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7063529.stm

"Rock stars always want to do two things. They want to have fun and change the world. If they can do both at the same time, you're okay," he added.

Being a multi-millionaire is obviously an unintentional by product then.

http://www.elevation.com/EP_IT.asp?id=112

http://www.busrep.co.za/index.php?fArticleId=3648328

--------------------
+Quote Post
Kitten
post Dec 13 2008, 01:36 PM
Post #36

Crap VIP

It's been a long while since I felt the need to point out, possibly educate?, that Bono is, in fact (without question!), THE biggest douche in the universe.

F-O-E-V-E-R. (Amen?)

Not only cos the SP episode did a very good job of explaining that but because I've been also channelling my Bono 'grrrr-ness' into the the ether. Not letting it dwell within.

But just to completely underline the reason why Bono does the stuff he does (apart from being a very successful multi-millionaire business man, the Mick Jagger of our generation perhaps) it's cos he wants personal attention, kudos and awards. Good awards. Not 'silly' MTV or other music awards. His goal, clearly, is (was?) the Nobel Peace Prize.

----------------
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/world/...9035664884.html
Bono receives peace award

PARIS - Bono was awarded the Peace Summit Award at the Ninth Summit of Nobel Peace Laureates yesterday in Paris for his crusade to tackle African debt and poverty.

"This is a very big award for me, because, let's be honest, this is as close as I am going to get - as close as a rock star is ever going to get - to the Nobel Peace Prize," he said. (*My italics)

------------------

Jebus and Mary Magdalene wept!

This award clearly wasn't really just that good enough for him...

--------------------
+Quote Post
Kitten
post Dec 19 2008, 09:22 AM
Post #37

Crap VIP

Grrrrr - HE is a-haunting me again....

They've announced a new album release for March 2009. It's inevitabre that they'd want to push more of their hideous product on the world. I can usually ignore the horrendous amount of promo shite that surrounds that sorrta thing.

But this caught me eye -

Live Nation lose $19m in U2 stock sale

Bono, ever the canny international business-man, want to ensure that U2, worth more than €780m ($1082m) in 2005 doesn't lose a penny in investments that may decrease, especially in these difficult credit crunching times. What's a multi-millionaire business-man to do??? Such hardship needs to be avoided...

The fact that U2 signed a massive deal with Live Nation, which in turn increased Live Nations stock and worth, only in March this year is no matter. U2 are guaranteed a paltry €25m in the deal with Live Nation and more besides, if sales, etc are good. But oops, in case they lose on their overall return they've dumped their shares, which they say is to do with 'regulatory matters' ... yeah ...

I'm guessing Bono will use the money for charity...

If Bono simply stuck to his role of being a cut-throat business man who is determined to see increases in his investments and business deals, who made a crappy album every 3-4 years and toured the world to make more money then that would be fine. But shoving the 'charity' stuff down peoples' throats to 'raise our consciousnesses' (cos we're all ignorant!) and cure world hunger is vile.

Now that he's realised his goal of winning a Nobel Peace Prize is slim-to-none (see post above), hopefully, he'll lay off that stuff and get back to making loadsa money for himself and his friends.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Kitten
post Jan 3 2009, 08:37 AM
Post #38

Crap VIP

I am not the only one who thinks Bono is the Biggest Douche in the Universe™! Larry Mullen, U2 drummer, thinks so too!!!

OK, he says Bono makes him 'cringe'... but it's close!

http://www.spinner.com/2009/01/02/u2-drumm...th-politicians/

U2 Drummer Condemns Bono's Relationship With Politicians

U2 drummer Larry Mullen Jr. is speaking out in criticism of frontman Bono over his bandmate's relationship with politicians. Mullen says he is specifically distressed by the singer's relationship former British Prime Minister Tony Blair.

"My biggest problem really is sometimes the company that he keeps," Mullen says in the new issue of Q magazine. "And I struggle with that. Particularly the political people, less the financial people. Particularly Tony Blair -- I mean, I think Tony Blair's a war criminal. And I think he should be tried as a war criminal. And then I see Bono and him as pals, and I'm going: 'I don't like that.'"

While Mullen admits he admires his lifelong friend and bandmate for his accomplishments on the world stage -- saying that along with his voice and lyrics they will be "his legacy" -- the drummer says his opinions are no secret.

"[Bono] would know how I feel about Tony Blair," adds Mullen, who says he understood why the vocalist became friendly with President Bush. "George Bush has been very generous to his cause ... the difference between him and Tony Blair is that Blair is intelligent. So he has no excuse for what he did. Whereas I think George Bush could find a few excuses for his behavior."

--------------------
+Quote Post
rongravy
post Jan 3 2009, 08:49 AM
Post #39

What up, mofeckle?

Member No.: 1,140

Maybe someday they can run against each other for the...
PRESIDENT OF THE WORLD!!!
A snake to the other's mongoose. Which side will the Edge or ummm... the bass player guy take?
Or will they in turn splinter into their own batshit alternate realities?
Only time will tell I guess. I'm sure they will still play together, right? Only he will be back there, behind the drum kit...
Seething...
Waiting...
For a chance to...
Strike!!!
:sp-cartmanlaugh:
Amazing that I really used to love U2 as a kid, all the way up through Zooropa.
I just can't deal with anything after that.

--------------------
user posted image
+Quote Post
rinygrin
post Jan 3 2009, 09:20 PM
Post #40

ℳɪss ℛiny

Group: Organizer
Member No.: 1,334

QUOTE(Kitten @ Jan 3 2009, 08:37 AM)
U2 Drummer Condemns Bono's Relationship With Politicians

Aw, they didn't bring up the Fugly snubbing Bono incident, I'm kind of disappointed by this.
I guess it's because it was from 2007, and Fugly is at least not being more relevant in the news but still...Fugly's a fan of U2 and apparently likes him anyway.

I never was able to get into U2 or Bono, I'm indifferent to his doucheyness.

--------------------
user posted image

Bob Dylan: "Look, do you want a banana before you go to bed?" Tiny Tim: "No, I have my own fruit with me."
+Quote Post
southparkpike
post Jan 3 2009, 09:50 PM
Post #41

Chief Running Water

Group: Admin
Member No.: 557

I have 3 "Bono" songs on me ipod that are always thiiiiiiis close to being deleted (because I used to like them years ago) but rarely listen to them at all anymore.....

Still Haven't Found.....
Sweetest Thing
Stuck in a Moment

I'm thinking, if anything, the first one I listed is getting the ax. The last two are still decent. I've found that as I grow older, Bono's singing voice gets more irritating. It's like scraping a chalkboard. But hey, that's the stuff Grammys are made of.

But yeah, Bono is still T.R.B.D.I.T.F.U.

--------------------
user posted image user posted image
Anyways, last night I dreamed that you and your friends (who I guess were just made-up girls) were BBQing me in your back yard in the summer. And it was like a 'Cannibal-Bikini-Blowout.' And the cooking device was a giant grill that I was shackled to, but my head hung off the edge, and you and your friends would rub your asses/pussies in my face to muffle my screams, and giggle madly and joyously.
+Quote Post
Kitten
post Jan 4 2009, 09:13 AM
Post #42

Crap VIP

So, OK - fessing up time for Kitten....

Please be kind to me...

I thought U2 were superb when I was younger. An Irish rock band that was cool (this is pre U2's first album release, Boy) when they released '11 o'clock Tick Tock', 'Electric Co' and 'Out of Control' singles and we listened to them endlessly. There was an e.p. called 'Three' as well that we played till the grooves almost no longer existed. (That's on vinyl, children! ;) ) I still like 'Out of Control'.

I saw U2 live the first time in a tiny venue in Dublin, holding all of 500 people, when I was fifteen - a loooong time ago. It was just before they released the album 'War'. In general, I loved 'em. Seriously. They were a hard working decent rock band - but from my city!!!, and they were getting kudos internationally.

I dealt with the very early comments from Bono such as 'Three out of four of us are Christians' - (Adam Clayton, the almost faceless bass player, is the odd one out of that Sesame Street type comment). I've seen them twice more live in much bigger venues in Dublin since then but not in over 15 years. The last gig in particular, around the time of the 'Unforgettable Fire', was really bad. Lots of OTT rock posturing, from of course, Bono whose ego was unstoppable. The rot began to set in - slowly, for me...

It was around 'Achtung Baby' and then when they really lost it with the release and tour for 'Zooropa' that I knew I wasn't interested in them musically any more. That's fine - let them be international multi-multi-millionaire rock stars, etc conquering the world.

But when Bono, along the other annoying multi-millionaire middle aged loud Irish man, Bob Geldof started telling people about poverty in Africa and what 'our' responsibilities should be I broke out in a rash. OK, I have psoriasis and it flares up with stress from time to time so it could have been that.

Then, Bono just wouldn't fuckin shut the fuck up about it. He met politicians and told them what their responsibilities with our taxes were!

He took out ads in the UK national press thanking Tony Blair for using UK taxes to donate to the World Bank! (This wasn't the exact wording of the ad but you get the idea...)

Then, Bono set up RED - apparently it's a charity but also a business venture to help luxury/wealthy brands such as Apple and fashion designers make more money - complete waste of time and money.

RED was in the red in 2006 by $25m. Way to run a charity dude.

Then, Bono moved U2's publishing rights out of Ireland to be domiciled in Holland to save a band, worth approx €900m, a few million each year - and took that money away from the Irish exchequer.

Then, Bono, Steve Jobs and a couple of other multi-millionaires, under the investment group Bono runs called 'Elevation', spent €340m buying a 40% stake in Forbes magazine and Forbes.com - a magazine that activity promotes and lauds capitalism - not known for their fighting poverty stance...

Anyhoo - you get the idea.

One more confession - I kinda like the song 'Stuck in the Moment' although Bono's voice is mostly hideous on it. I don't puke when I hear it...

The horrible thing is - I don't think Bono will ever, ever stop. That Duracell bunny's got nothing on him - at least the bunny's battery will, eventually, run out...

--------------------
+Quote Post
Rachelyrach
post Jan 4 2009, 09:29 AM
Post #43

Crap VIP

Member No.: 1,290

i liked war and that was pretty much it. i still like war. bono is the douche mastah.

--------------------
user posted image
+Quote Post
rinygrin
post Feb 20 2009, 10:52 AM
Post #44

ℳɪss ℛiny

Group: Organizer
Member No.: 1,334

Someone twittered this article a few moments ago.

U2 Album Leaks... Despite Ridiculous Attempts To Block It

--------------------
user posted image

Bob Dylan: "Look, do you want a banana before you go to bed?" Tiny Tim: "No, I have my own fruit with me."
+Quote Post
Kitten
post Feb 20 2009, 03:44 PM
Post #45

Crap VIP

To bastardize Obama's recent comment - instead of 'Buy American'...

I say 'Buy Irish!'

U2's newest album is only ONE way you can do this.

Buy, and enjoy responsibly, Guinness, Murphy's Stout, Bulmer's Cider, Whisky, (why are most of these drink related...? ;) ) Irish linen, Irish chocolates, Irish labour, (household and construction, etc) - there are many ways - at home and abroad - where you can enjoy and BUY Irish!

St PADDY'S Day (NOT St Patty's Day-ugh!) is only around th'auld corner, lads and lassies! I'll be Egypt this year for the celebrating o'the green. But I swear - I'll be there in spirit ... promise...

One love! One life. But we're not the same, we get to carry each other... yeah, yeah, alright an' all that - eh, feck off.

--------------------
+Quote Post

4 Pages < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th September 2017 - 01:21 AM