Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> The Real Biggest Douche In The Universe

Kitten
post Jan 26 2006, 07:02 AM
Post #1

Crap VIP

Group: Members
Member No.: 560

One of the biggest wastes of time and money is currently underway in Davos, Switzerland. It's an annual conference held in a super luxurious resort where business people, politicians and stars pay approx £10,000 (approx $16,500) to be a member of this exclusive club all in the name of discussing world poverty.

I'm almost retching as I type this.

This conference, the World Economic Forum, achieves absolutely nothing. But it is very good for advertising and selling; yourself, sunglasses, t-shirts, whatever.

In this new business venture, reported on below, hugely successful companies, some of whom have been accused of unethical manufacturing practises, will earn lots more money.

A tiny fraction of their increased profits will go to charity.

These international massively profitable companies will not increase their already tiny donation - they will take a minute percentage from the money that has been spent by the consumer by buying their product and pass that on in their name, not yours.

This will increase their sales and brand awareness. Charity is big business.

One man knows that more than anyone else.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/print?id=1543825

Bono backs 'Red' brand with bold anti-AIDS goal
Reuters

DAVOS, Switzerland - Rock star Bono joined three leading fashion groups and American Express on Thursday to launch Product Red, an ambitious branding and fund-raising scheme with the declared aim of beating AIDS.

"This is really sexy to me. It is sexy to want to change the world," said Irish singer Bono, holding aloft a new Amex 'Red Card' whose reverse side carries the statement: "This card is designed to eliminate HIV in Africa."

One percent of money that customers spend on the card will go to the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria, which supports nearly half a million people on AIDS treatment and a similar number of children orphaned by the disease.

Fellow launch partners Gap, Giorgio Armani and Converse, a subsidiary of Nike, will channel a portion of profits to the fund from selected 'Red-branded' goods -- including, respectively, T-shirts, wraparound sunglasses and training shoes made from African mudcloth.

"We sought out iconic companies who make iconic products," Product Red Chief Executive Bobby Shriver told a news conference at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland.

The scheme is designed to dramatically increase funds for fighting disease, drawing on the spending power of so-called "conscience consumers" in affluent Western societies.

"An ordinary person can simply walk into a shop and feel that they can participate in helping the needy by simply buying a perfume," said Armani, one of the world's top fashion designers.

"And cynically I would add, without us changing the price of the product."

WIN-WIN GOAL

The companies stressed the scheme will only succeed and be sustainable if it also generates money for the businesses taking part.

John Hayes, chief marketing officer at American Express, said: "It's conscientious commerce, and it's our hope it will both reward our shareholders and the global community."

The companies will roll out the Red brand in different markets at different stages, mainly targeting Britain at first, where Amex expects a market of some 4 million 'conscience consumers' by 2009. It will launch its card in the UK in March.

But the participants were vague on some points.

They declined to reveal projections for how much money the scheme could raise, saying it would depend on consumer response and the speed with which the brand could be expanded to other corporations and countries.

Nor could they say what proportion of sales from Red-branded consumer goods would go to the Global Fund, saying this would depend on sales and on whether the products were sold directly or through a retailer.

Issues may also arise over which companies to approve for the scheme, both ethically and on competitive grounds as rivals of the launch partners may apply to join.

"Of course, Red will set standards about which brands, which corporations we will welcome into this family. Some could end up being turned down," Global Fund Executive Director Richard Feachem told Reuters.

Bono, asked if he was being used by big business, replied that he was not a "cheap date."

"We're not endorsing these products. I think these products are endorsing us," he said, referring to his long-running anti-AIDS and anti-poverty campaigning.

--------------------
The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Rachelyrach
post Jan 26 2006, 07:28 PM
Post #2

Crap VIP

Member No.: 1,290

in environmental sciences, we call this "green washing."
for example,

when i was in college i spent a semester volunteering at a non-profit group that promoted "green power," mostly wind generated. here's a little history...
tennessee valley authority is a HUGE electric company with roots in the works projects administration to alleviate the 1930s depression. it is, hands down, the WORST air polluter in the south east because almost all of their power comes from coal fired power plants. southern alliance for clean energy (sace) was one of tva's most vocal and pointed critics. so tva gets this idea to start making green power, and they got sace on board to promote it. this was very convenient, as sace was now reliant on tva for funding... their ability to criticize tva to the public was neutered.
so here's how the project works- the power company convinced customers to pay $5 a month or so (by choice) to pay for the windmills. they told the customers that this is because green power costs more to produce. however, green power costs as much as coal to produce, and it costs loads less than nuclear power which tva also uses. the total amount of green power produced was less than 1/10th of 1 percent of the total power produced by tva. and it didn't actually result in less pollution- coal and nuclear plants are incredibly expensive to turn off and on, so any reductions in "traditional" power generation came from hydroelectic dams. but of course tva sent out all this advertising about how environmentally friendly they are now, even though they're still killing the smoky mountains (not to mention asthmatics).
so without much cost to the company, and without making real gains in environmental sustainability, tva managed to silence its biggest critic AND got a huge publicity boost

--------------------
user posted image
+Quote Post
Kitten
post Jan 27 2006, 01:52 AM
Post #3

Crap VIP

Great exmaple, Rachel. And frightening.

However, we must all remember Bono's words - "This is really sexy to me. It is sexy to want to change the world,". You don't actually have to change or make a difference but like TVA wanting to by making a big fuss of pretending to do that without actually doing anything is sexy too!

Not.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Kitten
post Feb 24 2006, 05:00 AM
Post #4

Crap VIP

Grrrrrrrrr. Bono. Grrrrrrrrr. This from Reuters less than half an hour ago. Grrrrrrr.

Bono, Geldof among 191 Nobel Peace Prize nominees
Reuters Friday February 24, 12:32 PM

OSLO (Reuters) - Rock stars Bono and Bob Geldof are among 191 nominees for this year's Nobel Peace Prize -- the second longest list in the prize's 105-year history.

Nominations for the $1.3 million award -- considered by many to be one of the world's top accolades -- trickled in from all corners of the globe, the director of the Norwegian Nobel Institute Geir Lundestad said on Friday.

"There are two trends I want to point out. The first is that this is again a very high number and that this year we have received more nominations from different parts of the world than usual," he told Reuters.

He said 23 of the 191 nominees were organisations. In 2005 there were a record 199 nominations. As usual Lundestad declined to give any indication of who had or had not been nominated for the prize and instead referred to media leaks.

U2 front man Bono and Live8 organiser Geldof have campaigned for cancelling third world debt and once again make the list.

Website reports say former mayor of New York Rudolph Giuliani and Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono, who helped organise a peace deal in Indonesia's tsunami-ravaged Aceh province, have also been nominated for the peace prize.

And the Internet has been used by campaigners to drum up support for some celebrities.

Previous Nobel Peace Prize winners include U.S. President Theodore Roosevelt in 1906 for organising a 1905 peace treaty between Russia and Japan and Martin Luther King in 1964 for his civil rights campaign.

Mother Teresa, the Indian missionary, won the prize in 1979 and former USSR President Mikhail Gorbachev won in 1990 for helping to end the Cold War. The International Committee of the Red Cross has won the award three times in 1917, 1945 and 1963.

OPRAH, A FRIEND OF THE WORLD

The oprah4peaceprize.org website has been campaigning for U.S. chat show host Oprah Winfrey to make the list.

Under the rules, nominations must be postmarked no later than February 1. Some university professors, parliamentarians, former winners and members of the prize committee can all make nominations for the Nobel Peace Prize.

And the list of former nominees includes Nazi leader Adolf Hitler and former Yugoslav President Slobodan Milosevic who is standing trial at the U.N.'s war crimes tribunal in the Hague.

The U.N. nuclear watchdog, the IAEA, and its director Mohamed ElBaradei won last year's prize for their work to curb the spread of nuclear arms and ensure the safe use of nuclear energy.

That award is likely to mean that anti-nuclear campaigners have little chance this year as the secretive five-person Norwegian Nobel Committee tends to vary its choices among different kinds of work for peace.

The prize winner is announced each year in mid-October, and the prize is given to the winner in Oslo on December 10.

A Chinese dissident could be favoured. Lundestad said in a 2001 speech that the committee had to "sooner rather than later" speak out about human rights in China.

The peace prize is named after Alfred Nobel, the Swedish philanthropist and inventor of dynamite who died in 1896, one of the wealthiest men in Europe.

He left his money to the foundation established in his name to reward excellence each year. The peace prize is the only one of six Nobel prizes awarded outside Stockholm.

--------------------
+Quote Post
poopstain
post Feb 24 2006, 09:18 AM
Post #5

shitter from shittersville

Member No.: 911

oldest trick in the book

bait and switchgrass

--------------------
user posted image
An anxious Hibernian cat,
was embroiled in an internet spat.
when a frisky young snark
took a shot in the dark,
and waggled his chit in her chat
+Quote Post
Rachelyrach
post Feb 25 2006, 09:52 AM
Post #6

Crap VIP

Member No.: 1,290

QUOTE(Kitten @ Feb 24 2006, 09:00 AM)
Grrrrrrrrr.  Bono.  Grrrrrrrrr. This from Reuters less than half an hour ago.  Grrrrrrr.

[size=1]Bono, Geldof among 191 Nobel Peace Prize nominees
Reuters Friday February 24, 12:32 PM

OSLO (Reuters) - Rock stars Bono and Bob Geldof are among 191 nominees for this year's Nobel Peace Prize -- the second longest list in the prize's 105-year history.

SHUT. UP.
oh my lord, if bono actually gets it he'll be even more unsufferable. :sp-cartmanderp:
the good news is that we can finally compare him to old slobby and hitler. :sp-cartmanlaugh:

--------------------
user posted image
+Quote Post
Kitten
post Apr 2 2006, 05:22 PM
Post #7

Crap VIP

Bono is so' emo' (as youse young wans like to term it).

I call him a big wet pair of knickers.

He was at the launch of the Beckett Festival in Dublin (so literary and therefore so worthy) during the week but NOW, dammit, that ker-razee Italian prime minister is USING him. And Bono feels expoited. My heart is only weeping.

Bono feels "exploited" by Berlusconi magazine
Sunday April 2, 04:29 PM

ROME (Reuters) - Irish rocker and charity champion Bono has written to Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi to complain about how his picture was used in a magazine listing the government's achievements ahead of elections next week.

"Mr Berlusconi, as flattered as I can be of appearing in your brochure, I also feel a bit exploited," Bono said in the letter, a copy of which was printed on the front page of the Corriere della Sera daily on Sunday.

The glossy, 161-page magazine was published by Berlusconi's Forza Italia (Go Italy!) party and has been sent to millions of Italian households ahead of the April 9-10 ballot.

It is full of photos of an ever-smiling prime minister addressing crowds and conversing with world leaders.

At one point it features a picture of Bono, lead singer of supergroup U2, who has spearheaded a campaign to persuade the leaders of the Group of Eight richest nations to double aid to Africa.

The caption reads: "The Irish star is grateful to the prime minister for the actions promoted by the Italian government towards poor countries".

In his letter, Bono said he recalled a conversation with Berlusconi during which the prime minister pledged to fulfil the promises made by the G8 in Gleneagles, Scotland, last year in a statement signed by Berlusconi along with the other leaders.

He said Italy would have to more than double its handouts by 2010 to honour its commitment.

"If your commitment is real and your signature is trustworthy, then the world wants to know how Italy intends to reach this target," Bono said in the letter, translated into Italian by Corriere. "For now you haven't offered any explanation, even though luckily there is still some time."

The government replied to Bono in a statement on Sunday.

"The difficulties we are going through -- and we are not the only ones -- due to the unfavourable economic context, are visible to all and can cause some delays, but certainly not the non-fulfilment (of Italy's commitments)," it said.

"We will show with the facts the strength of our commitment to the poorest countries."

Italy gives the smallest amount of aid contributions in real terms within the G8, and despite pledges to boost the handouts, they have actually dropped over the past few years.

--------------------
+Quote Post
tinadoll
post Apr 2 2006, 05:54 PM
Post #8

Lurker

Member No.: 984

What?BONO?

oh Kitten!

What is so wrong with Bono! He is a wonderful artist as well as a wonderful activist. I wish more people were like him and put thier money where thier mouths are.

He is sure to get knighted now(he might not-just for the fact he is Irish though)

--------------------
When I was arrested I was dressed in black
+Quote Post
rongravy
post Apr 2 2006, 06:16 PM
Post #9

What up, mofeckle?

Member No.: 1,140

QUOTE(tinadoll @ Apr 2 2006, 08:54 PM)
What is so wrong with Bono! He is a wonderful artist as well as a wonderful activist. I wish more people were like him and put thier money where thier mouths are.

What's wrong with BONO?!?!?! He's not doing all this for anything other than...
SMELLING HIS OWN SMUG. Alot of other performers, take Duran, do OODLES of charity stuffs, just NOT to puff up their own chests.
MESSAGE TO BONO: Keep putting your money out there, just leave your ugly, sunglassed mug out of it. Show us that you are the selfless man you claim to be. Can't do it, can you...?

He is sure to get knighted now

Big deal, Elton was knighted too. I STILL think he blows...
:sp-cartmanlaugh:

--------------------
user posted image
+Quote Post
tinadoll
post Apr 2 2006, 06:25 PM
Post #10

Lurker

QUOTE(rongravy @ Apr 2 2006, 09:16 PM)

What's wrong with BONO?!?!?! He's not doing all this for anything other than...
SMELLING HIS OWN SMUG. Alot of other performers, take Duran, do OODLES of charity stuffs, just NOT to puff up their own chests.
MESSAGE TO BONO: Keep putting your money out there, just leave your ugly, sunglassed mug out of it. Show us that you are the selfless man you claim to be. Can't do it, can you...?

He is sure to get knighted now

Big deal, Elton was knighted too. I STILL think he blows...
:sp-cartmanlaugh:

Oh God don't remind me about Sir Elton. I have a major bone to pick with him about his Show Lestat

I consider Bono more likable then Sir Elton any day

--------------------
+Quote Post
Will
post Apr 2 2006, 09:41 PM
Post #11

Sup?

Member No.: 6

* Will puts all Bono rants on ignore and suggests Kitten post at pro-Bono boards until she gets banned from them.

--------------------
Arrive alive.
Don't drink and drive

- Willow Rose, 7/4/10

Happy Independence Day, USA!
+Quote Post
Kitten
post Apr 3 2006, 08:20 AM
Post #12

Crap VIP

*Kitten notes suggestion and promptly ignores it.

QUOTE(tinadoll @ Apr 3 2006, 02:54 AM)
What?BONO?

oh Kitten!

He is sure to get knighted now(he might not-just for the fact he is Irish though)

Bono is a mediocre 'artist' and his activism is very particular, ie, to suit his own agenda and motives.

Accepting a knighthood if you're British and have an ounce of decency is a huge sell out. If an Irish person accepts a knighthood it's a disgrace. Hello Sir Bob Geldof. Here's a special Finglas Hello. In yer bollox.

A knighthood from the Brits is too low rent for our Bonzer. He's (world) banking (geddit???hehehe) on the big kahuna of 'prizes' - the Noble 'Peace' Prize.

He's a very ambitious boy. Always has been.

U2 and Bono are a business and a brand nothing more or less. Don't be fooled

--------------------
+Quote Post
tinadoll
post Apr 3 2006, 09:50 AM
Post #13

Lurker

QUOTE(Kitten @ Apr 3 2006, 11:20 AM)

QUOTE(tinadoll @ Apr 3 2006, 02:54 AM)
What?BONO?

oh Kitten!

Bono is a mediocre 'artist' and his activism is very particular, ie, to suit his own agenda and motives.

Accepting a knighthood if you're British and have an ounce of decency is a huge sell out. If an Irish person accepts a knighthood it's a disgrace. Hello Sir Bob Geldof. Here's a special Finglas Hello. In yer bollox.

A knighthood from the Brits is too low rent for our Bonzer. He's (world) banking (geddit???hehehe) on the big kahuna of 'prizes' - the Noble 'Peace' Prize.

He's a very ambitious boy. Always has been.

U2 and Bono are a business and a brand nothing more or less. Don't be fooled

The mediocraity (sp?) of Bono and U2 are up to the fans to decide. But i would let all thier Grammy awards and sales of Albums speak for themselves.

I enjoy thier albums so i buy them. Bono and U2 have come a long way and are rock stars. And sometimes Rock stars act like rock stars. But not Bono- he has always shown great concern for the world around him. Unlike alot of his peers.

I admire him

He may be ambitious- but hey,thats how you survive in Rock and Roll today. He is competeing against American Idol contestants,bands with the word "The" in the title with one hit and bands off of the OC soundtrack. The Music scene has changed.So should the band change.

I don't see anything wrong with him

--------------------
+Quote Post
Kitten
post Apr 4 2006, 02:16 AM
Post #14

Crap VIP

Well put Tinadoll. I must say your posting has really come along way.

If fans (of whatever it may be) were the sole arbiters of any work or person then only one opinion, or variants of the same opinion, would exist. The choice enjoyed by us here in the Western world is that we can express more than one opinion on any subject matter. Damn cool if you ask me!

One of the reasons I post at CRAPtv forums is because I really enjoy South Park and admire Matt Stone’s and Trey Parker’s work. They are a fantastic success story proving their own maxim of never taking one opinion or side of the story for granted. To scrutinise, dissect ideas and to explore and push your own thinking to the limit is an instructive and interesting method in formulating thinking and beliefs.

Not one of is the same.

Thankfully and one helluva relief all round, eh?...!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Will
post Apr 4 2006, 03:06 AM
Post #15

Sup?

Member No.: 6

QUOTE(Kitten @ Apr 3 2006, 08:20 AM)

...Chicken! :lol:

--------------------
Arrive alive.
Don't drink and drive

- Willow Rose, 7/4/10

Happy Independence Day, USA!
+Quote Post

4 Pages  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th July 2017 - 10:35 AM